Friday, June 29, 2012

What Are You Re-Reading This Summer? A Partial List

My second novel, due out from ChiZine Publications in the fall of 2013, is a contemporary ghost story. As I did with Enter, Night, I'm re-reading some classics in this particular genre, as well as some newer works that come highly recommended, and some personal favourites. Of course, during the writing of Enter, Night I plodded through the complete Jesuit Relations in addition to the cool vampire stuff, so this particular reading marathon is going to be a lot more fun

This (very partial) list includes The Mammoth Book of Victorian and Edwardian Ghost Stories (Richard Dalby, Ed.), The Literary Ghost (Larry Dark, Ed.) 50 Great Horror Stories (John Canning, Ed.), A Pleasing Terror,the M.R. James omnibus edition from Ash-Tree Press (a glorious, glorious, luxurious book to own), October Dreams (Chizmar and Morrish, Eds.), Northwest Passages, by the brilliant Barbara Roden, and of course, Peter Straub's classic Ghost Story. I posed the signed limited edition hardcover of Ghost Story from Hill House in this stack (it's one of my most prized possessions) but I'm toting around the paperback in my briefcase.

Susie Moloney's terrifying contemporary ghost story, The Dwelling, deserves its own review here, and will get one. There's a copy of The Haunting of Hill House around here too somewhere, or else Beckett's made off with it.

(Author's Note: My books aren't usually stacked up like this on my desk, nor are my owl bookends usually separated from each other, or perched theatrically on a stack of supernatural fiction. They've mated for life, like night-flying dolphins. The photo of my buddy Ian Rogers, whose short story collection, Every House is Haunted, will be read by all the cool kids this fall, however, is permanently installed on the edge of my desk. Truth in advertising, my friends. Truth in advertising.)



3 comments:

  1. If you could just edit it to read 'brilliant, as well as vibrant and quick-witted, Barbara Roden' it would be perfect, Michael. . . .

    Seriously, thanks so much for the compliment. And it goes without saying that there are a lot of people who are very much looking forward to your take on the classic ghost story. Every generation deserves its great ghost novel, so keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I stumbled upon this post, Michael, and I'm beyond *THRILLED* to hear you have a new project coming out next year and that it has to do with ghosts! :-)

    DarkEva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the owl. He's adorable. I'm re reading some dodgy Sci Fi this summer. It must be so lovely to sit down and read books like that for inspiration. I guess it's like me and my cook books which I read like normal books anyway! Loving the blogging Mr Rowe. Do pop by mine one day to say hi!

    ReplyDelete